Friday 12 September 2014

Conquering Fear

As I walked into the room lost in my own thoughts, our eyes met.
It was up there in the wall stuck like a sticker out of place.
It made the first move and crawled into hiding.
Me, I shrieked like a little girl and ran, I ran and ran until my feet stopped.
It was a harmless creature which didn't belong in my room.
It knew that as well.
It was a lizard, a house lizard.
Now, most people don't mind these things, even I who doesn't care if a cockroach or a spider passes by, but lizards, they scare me.
My family gets a laugh whenever I spot one of those things in any room.
I fail to see the humor in this.
Its not a child's fear of lizards that I have.
I'll tell you what happens to me when I spot them.
First, I freeze, dropping everything that I'm doing and run as far as I can.
The next thing, my body starts shaking, cold sweat forming over my head, my heart starts beating faster than normal.
I cannot think, I cannot talk, but cower in fear.
They may laugh but once if I ever get a panic attack, it'll wipe the smirk off their faces.
Then I guess they'll take it seriously.
The thing is I am not afraid of other lizards like a chameleon or an iguana.
In fact I don't mind the presence of an house lizard in my room.
I just don't like the way it moves.
Its movement has a faint resemblance to another reptile that I have a phobia of.
Snakes.
The fear of snakes that I have is way bigger than my fear of house lizards.
I get chills even if I look at a picture or drawings of them.
If I ever come across one, I'll faint the moment I see it and might even die without it biting me.
That's why I'm using the term phobia instead of just saying I'm afraid.
Everybody is afraid of something or the other.
Some fear the dark, some fear ghosts and some even fear god.
The last one is completely stupid according to me.
I believe, if you are afraid instead of feeling blessed by the mention of an entity, you cannot call it a god.
Another way to put it is, they are not afraid of god, they are just afraid of the wrath they will face if they do something wrong.
But that's my opinion.
Anyways, fear is something everyone has, if someone comes up to you saying they're not afraid of anything, they're lying or just are yet to come across the thing they fear.
Having something that you are afraid of shows that you are normal human and that's saying something with how weird our world has turned into.
It doesn't makes you a lesser person, all it does is shows that even the toughest among us has something that they are afraid of.
Conquering the thing that you are afraid of starts by accepting what you are afraid of.
Let people mock you and laugh at the thing you are afraid of.
Cause if you see it, you'll realize that they are also afraid of certain trivial things but haven't told anyone.
It's completely okay to be afraid of a lot of things, just make sure your enemy isn't aware of what you fear.
As that day will come when you realize, the thing that you fear so much is all inside your head and like everything, a figment of your imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment