Wednesday 28 August 2013

Let There Be Rock!

I've been a fan of rock music for quite a long time,
In fact more than the time I've been playing the guitar.
This is one genre of music that really clicks with me
Majorly i'm a fan of grunge and punk rock but sometimes i do listen to hard rock or soft core.
Summing it up, I'm a fan of rock and boy do I roll!
So does it influence my guitar style?
Well, I do like to play some of the songs but most of them I prefer to listen
 A lot of people ask me if I play Bryan Adams or some local music they prefer,
My reply to them is no, I play what I like.
As a musician I prefer to play the music that I like, rather than what others like.
It's not that i'm looking for a fan base by playing covers of artists that others like,
It's just that there are bands that aren't as well known in India as they are in other countries and I look for those types of bands which haven't got the recognition they deserve.
So obviously when people ask me which song I've been playing and I name a band that they haven't heard of, their reply is pretty obvious.
Then there are some oldies who think they know classical rock but the only song that their dull minds could remember over the years is 'Smoke on the water',
Some of them don't even know the name of that band and some have only heard the opening riff of that song and claim that, 'they have heard it'.
Yeah right!
But really there are some good rock bands that haven't achieved that status, mostly because they didn't wanted to and some because they couldn't afford to.
Sadly most of these bands died (disbanded), before the internet made music more openly available to people.
There are times when people ask me why I don't play any local music.
I just say that I don't like it,
That's an answer they don't want to hear but why bother,
Anyways, the title of this blog post is the name of a rock song by a popular rock band called 'AC / DC', many haven't heard their songs but just know that name.
It's a good song to listen and really amazing to play too.
Today, rock music is dying a slow death, bands aren't getting the recognition they want,
people losing interest in that kind of music, Dub-step and Pop music is getting more popular day after day thanks to YouTube.
Ever since Nirvana, people are waiting for the next band to come and rule the world of music, there is a chance that the band might have arrived but due to not getting the recognition they wanted, have called it quits.
In earlier days MTV and VH1 were popular in promoting new talent but now all they do is to promote idiots using the concept of reality shows.
Even radio does try it's best to showcase new talents but it's not doing enough to take it to the next level.
Live shows are dying as people don't want to stand out in a hot sunny day and listen to music.
While there are some who try hard to save this but if the music industry isn't taking the initiative then who else will.
All those money hungry morons look for is an idiot who will 'illegally' download their music so that they could sue them for everything.
I do hope a day will come when rock music will rock the world again, till then a few lines from this song

"In the beginning, back in nineteen fifty-five
Man didn't know about a rock 'n' roll show, and all that jive
The white man had the schmaltz, the black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do but Tchaikovsky had the news
He said-
'Let there be sound,' and there was sound
'Let there be lights' and there was light
'Let there be drums' and there was drums
'Let there be guitar' and there was guitar
'Let there be rock' "
  

No comments:

Post a Comment